Thursday, November 6, 2008

Gui client update

I've been working on the client, and as part of my foray into using a new gui toolkit I've learned the joys of incompatible toolkits. My latest problem arose with regard to the main display text window. There's two options for this:

1) use the standard system provided window type that has screen reader support and fewer features, or

2) use the custom window type that has way more features but doesn't read properly.

So, I've been trying to make the standard window type work, and it's been problematic. One thing in particular is that I can't easily go back and just change the one aspect of the style in the window; for example, I can't just change the font size without recoloring the whole damned thing. As a result of this, I spent most of the morning cleaning up and building a renderer that saves everything ever sent to the window and redraws it if necessary.

Another side effect of this is that I can't change the text background easily when window scrolling is locked. For now, I just have the window background changing, which is actually starting to grow on me - you can obviously tell that the window is locked, and the text keeps its high contrast. It does look a little blocky in certain areas though.

I don't have any of the intercession windows built (like the 'do you really want to disconnect without logging off the game' window), and I've been avoiding button handling like crazy. I'm getting down to where I'm going to have to start doing that in the next couple of days though.

On the schedule for this afternoon (if I don't get interrupted) is logfile saving, and the parts of the 'view' menu that make sense.

No comments: