Thursday, July 2, 2009

Web pages

I've just completed the first pass of an all-CSS layout for the official Alter Aeon MUD site. To retheme the site, it should be as simple as picking new colors, and generating two header images for the image banner across the top. At least that's the hope.

One of the reasons for doing this is the possibility that the dark, ominous colors are driving people off. I've heard more than a few comments to the effect that the current color scheme is 'off-putting' and/or looks evil. (It does after have demon horns in it.)

I've certainly noticed this in RL in terms of dress. When wearing my usual fare of all black, people are much, much less likely to approach me than if I'm wearing blue jeans and a light shirt. If web page viewers are even remotely similar, a difference of 2:1 wouldn't be impossible.

With all this in mind, I'm perfectly willing to try some lighter color schemes and see if it helps. Perhaps a nice light blue ice theme to begin with.

I should probably think a little harder about the image backgrounds. It should be possible to do image under- and overlays to perhaps pretty things up a bit.

FYI, this is all hand-written CSS, with the pages generated using GNU M4. Take a look at the source time time if you're bored.

No comments: