Saturday, August 29, 2009

Client update

I've been working on the DClient code for the last couple of days, and it's coming along nicely. I had intended to do another interim release on thursday; after discovering that the Windows build of fundamental display primitives is vastly different than the Linux version, I had to go back to the drawing board and come up with a rendering/display system to avoid those issues.

Conveniently, with the new rendering system, the original problem that forced me to write the rendering system has vanished. I could probably figure it out if necessary, but at this point, I just want to get my work done. I'm still keeping the rendering system though; every piece of WX I replace is one step farther away from needing to use it at all. At some point, all that will be left is the event loop, wxDC functions, and Win32 resource management.

The improvements in this version of the client are primarily a simpler user interface with a lot less clutter. We also have popup-style windows for things like score, equipment, inventory and the who list. I've also prettied up some of the buttons, and have enough infrastructure in place to possibly start doing some window decorations.

If everything goes stunningly well, I should be able to get a testing release out Sunday night. More likely however, it'll be monday or later.

No comments: