Thursday, December 11, 2008

This makes no sense

I finally got up enough incentive to put in time on the client, and as a result I got a fresh dose of why I avoid working on it: this toolkit makes no sense.

Or rather, it does make sense, it's just not documented. You pretty much have to figure out the internal state of the system from examples and experiments; this is very different from the QT tookit, which while a pain in the ass, at least was comprehensive.

So for my time tonight, I have a dialog box for logoff/disconnect/cancel that looks correct in the Linux build. I don't have any of the buttons hooked up, but that's a bit more straight forward. There's a handful of these dialogs that I need to build, so getting even one of them figured out and working properly is a huge step forward.

My current plan is to get the dialogs and history save working, then try to get it working with the screen reader on the laptop under windows. I hope I can get it working at least as well as other clients, so I can offer a preconfigured, functional client for the blind as well as one for sighted people.

One final note: I thought I had the dialogs and sizers figured out, and went to move the dialog out of the main window and into a subwindow. Shows what I know! Doing so broke the entire layout in weird ways I've never seen before. Clearly I don't understand what's going on yet.

2 comments:

Vivi said...

Sounds like you are in for some interesting coding tonight Dentin, mahahaha! No, just kidding. Keep up the good work mate, I hope we can see our cool little client sometime within the next 3 months!

Dennis Towne said...

The initial versions will probably be less pretty than the current one that's on the web; this new toolkit is really problematic in a lot of ways.

I'm really hoping that the blind support is good enough to make up for it. It doesn't have to be pretty for the blind, it just has to work.