Sunday, November 22, 2009

I'm a deadbeat

I was looking at the list of big-ticket/high priority items on my whiteboard, and it occurred to me that a lot of them are half done.

Not the good kind of half done, where it's a huge project and a lot of pieces are in and functional.

The bad kind of done where infrastructure is in place and working, but it's not doing anything valid in the game context.

A good example of this is the recent boat code. This largely works, and probably only needs a couple of hours to get it in god-level beta test. Instead, it's sitting there in the code base, largely complete but unconnected.

How about clan wars? I spent time adding a lot of infrastructure for this, then never hooked it up. It also probably doesn't need more than a few hours to get it in beta test.

Classes are a bigger picture. I have more structure reworks to do, but I have been avoiding them. This one is a bit more understandable, because the project is so large - but this isn't exactly a huge piece of the puzzle.

Part of the reason for this is because I'm constantly 'firefighting' instead of doing new development. I'm always fixing minor bugs, heading off social/political issues, trying to manage things and people. I'm starting to think it would perhaps be better for all involved if I simply stayed invisible most of the time. I used to do that a lot, for exactly this reason, but for some reason fell out of the habit.

Another part of the reason is that the detail work isn't any fun. It's painstaking and precise, and there's always negative feedback from players to look forward to. Nevertheless, leaving a heap of half-finished projects on the queue isn't helping anything either.

No pain no gain, perhaps.

2 comments:

Slim said...

Weekly notice: clan wars! :-) Love ya and everything you do, bro

Just Tyro said...

Try to take it slow and relax - don't need to get yourself too stressed out about it.

I'm in the stage right now that I just feel like doing a little bit here and a little bit there instead of doing nonstop work for hours at a time.

Sure, doing it all at once would produce faster results, but would rushing it make the best results? The highest quality results?

Probably not.

Anyway, I think you're doing a great job, and just try to relax a bit. No-one is going to like everything you do, got to take the good with the bad and at the end of the day realize it's just a game, but an insanely addicting on at that.