Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Karma

A few minutes ago, a well-written article on mana regen optimization appeared basically out of nowhere. A player mailed it to me, and after some minor edits approved by him, it's available on the Alter Aeon articles page.

It's a neat article because it covers a lot of things that mid-level players might not know, and gives an algorithm for optimizing a good part of a mana regen set. There were a couple of things regarding cast level that weren't quite right, but after consulting the code (like I would be able to remember off the top of my head) I was able to drop in some minor changes to clean it up.

It's always nice when people do stuff like this; it makes me feel like I'm not the only one who's actually working on things. There's a huge playerbase out there willing to contribute, they just need a way to do it. This is why Wiki projects are generally so productive, and I clearly need to find better ways to harness it.

If you're curious, the article can be found here and also linked to from the Alter Aeon "Gaming Articles" page.

1 comment:

Grazfather said...

I honestly think I would be a great idea to start a wiki at wikia (alteraeon.wikia.com)
People could put up descriptions of hit roll, dam roll, etc, but more technical. It could also include things like the ids of a bunch of items (But I`m not sure if you`d like that). With enough people involve it could be an incredible resource.

Also, do you have somewhere I can post recommendations? I have a few that I think you'd find useful.

Keep up the good work

-Asheran/Storeash/Gfaja