Friday, January 9, 2009

xml xml xml

I really hate that hitting enter while in the title bar automatically posts, even if the post body is empty.

Today, I added support for XML dumping of player data via the web interface. This was at the request of the player Cu, whose XML data can now be seen at http://dentinmud.org:3004/xml/players/cu. The idea was to export various player statistics so that he could dump it into a database and do databasey things with it; in short, a third party app using AA data.

I really dislike XML, but I like this plan. I also hope to export other data, hopefully without compromising the game itself, so that more things can be done with it.

This reboot also brings in a handful of minor changes to newbie sends and the email command, but more importantly it brings in a major change to area checking. We now have code to check linkages between areas and figure out how far off in terms of relative position they are. This should help us line up the world and get things to be a little more grid-like.

This gridlike preparation is in anticipation of graphical maps in the dclient.

In other news, there's a bunch of presentation/toolkit bugs in the client, pointed out by various people. Some of them do not look easy to fix.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

at 8 read 40 - December 23rd, 2007 I was asking for this. Maybe I should get Calina to ask for other ideas I have too...

Shawn said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure more than Cu has asked for it. And others have implemented it as a third-party feature *cough*shawnbiddle.com/alter/players/uicli/output/xml*cough*

Dennis Towne said...

Ok ok, y'all win! You've been pushing for xml for years and I've been ignoring it - in part because I hate xml, and in part because I didn't actually believe any of you would do anything.

Sorry, I'm just jaded from years of people never doing what they said they would.

Let me know what other stuff would be useful, and I'll see about adding it. Boards are on the list, but they're problematic because of the way they're handled internally. Nothing big, it just needs some thought.